A marriage certificate is legal proof that two people are married. Marriage can be registered either under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954, Supreme Court has issued that marriage certificate is mandatory for couples and welfare of women. Look at procedure for marriage registration certificate in West Bengal.
Benefits of Obtaining Marriage Certificate
Marriage certificate is a legal document that is proof that two persons are married. Marriage certificate provides social security, particularly to married women’s. Further, marriage certificate would be required for obtaining or changing various other documents like passport, ration card, PAN card name change, etc.
In West Bengal, to obtained marriage registration certificate, follow below criteria
Bride and groom should not be less than 18 and 21 years of age respectively.
Parties (husband & wife) should be already married and must be living together.
At time of marriage registration, there should not be more than one spouse of any of parties.
Bride and groom must have lived for at least one month in district where marriage is to be registered.
- Follow below documents procedure at time of registering marriage
- Residential proof of bride and groom.
- Passport size photo of bride and bridegroom.
- Age certificate of bride and groom.
- Proof of marriage such as marriage invitation card, joint photograph and an affidavit from priest or local panchayat bodies
Fee for Marriage Registration
Government will charge Rs.200/-. If applicant marriages are made within two months of date of its solemnization. Then charges will increase from Rs.200 to Rs.400/-. If application for registration is made with after two months of date of its solemnization.
Procedure of West Bengal Marriage certificate
Following steps can perform to complete marriage registration online:
- Visit official website to register for marriage certificate.
- Applicant will come across application for which they have to fill.
- Now fill all details of groom in form.
- After filling details of groom, now proceed with bride’s details.
- Furnish details of marriage.
- Now enter details of Marriage Officer.
- Then complete details required for marriage registration.
- Finally, click on apply button by attaching scanned documents to submit your application details.
- Once done with above process, then applicant will get certified copy of marriage registration.
If marriage registration certificate is not received by applicant, then applicant should visit respective Registration Officer and again have to apply in person.
Marriage certificate provides above will be valid forever until marriage remains valid.